Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Library 2.0 Theory

"it still must be recognized that the Web is indeed evolving into a more interactive, multi-media driven technological space, " ( Maness). 

After reading this article, this quote really stuck out to me. In the last class we talked about the previous generations not being as advanced with technology as we are and the fact that some are not willing to try to become familiar with it. The quote goes to show that technology is always advancing and at a fast rate. 

The author made a list of what the theory of Library 2.0 should have:
1. It is user- centered
2. It provides a multi media experience
3. It i socially rich
4. It is communally innovative

I feel that libraries should have all of these essentials. People go to the library everyday to look up information, check out book, look online to see if a book is available and to search articles online.  Without these advancements, what would we do? We would have to find the article and look through each edition to see if it has the article we are looking for. 
The Synchronous Messaging is an excellent tool for reference. I usually don't start my homework till later in the night and it would be helpful if I could ask a librarian on my own time for help. 
When I read over the part of Mashups, I had no idea what the article was referring to, but once I read further I understood. I like how the author refers to Library 2.0 as a mashup. We expect when we go to the library to have all the electronic information that is available at our fingertips. 

No comments: